Friday 14 December 2012

Genuine ELM or Clone OBDII Adaptors

The device shown in the previous post is a clever piece of electronics that itself is a small computer. One that is dedicated to working out what standard the car is using and then presenting a standard interface to the computer. If I understand correctly this device was first introduced by a company called ELM and a fantastic concept and product it is. Without it the OBDII interface would still be inaccessible to a home enthusiast like myself.

When I purchased my interface I was unaware of the history and then discovered that, as far as I understand, it is a clone of the first version of the genuine ELM product. Like thousands of others I was attracted by the price but ignorant that it is a copy. It would seem the first versions had not been copy protected like subsequent versions. So whilst the official product continues to develop and address bugs etc the clones probably don't.

The adaptor I purchased did work successfully (although one did fail after a couple of months) but perhaps problems may be experienced in due course. Speed is one reported issue. The ability to interrogate the car fast enough. Reliability as I have found is another.

Some of the current low cost adaptors boast being version 1.5 but from what I have read there isn't currently a version 1.5 from ELM, the architects of the product. The version is therefore misleading and probably refers to the physical package and not the functional operation.